As a trusted wealth advisor to your clients, you know many of your clients may be interested in leaving a legacy in their community and can receive tax benefits through charitable giving. Your local community foundation works with wealth advisors to enrich the charitable giving strategies of their clients. We are ready to work with you to serve your clients. Your local community foundation staff can work with you to help you find the best solutions for your clients, and we offer a variety of giving options including:
- Appreciated stock gift
- IRA Charitable rollover
- Estate Planning
- Strategic philanthropy
We can be a resource to you and your clients to help them include charitable giving in their legacy planning.
There are many ways your clients can give a charitable donation to causes they care about and receive an immediate tax deduction. Some of these options we can help you and your clients with include donating gifts of appreciated stocks and securities - as opposed to selling the stock then gifting the cash.
You can help your clients make donations to their local community foundation of appreciated securities and they may receive an immediate tax deduction and savings on capital gains taxes.
The IRA Rollover has been made permanent. If you have a client that is 70 ½ or over, you can transfer up to $100,000 from your IRA to a community foundation in your area without paying any federal income tax on that transfer. This gift may be made over and above the other charitable gifts your client already makes. This gift can be made by notifying the client’s IRA plan custodian of your intent to make a current transfer to the local community foundation.
For more information on how to make an IRA rollover gift, please consult your tax consultant or your local community foundation.
We can work with you and your clients, especially those who:
- Have high capital gains tax exposure
- Are in a “transition” phase of life, such empty nest, retirement, involved in estate planning
- Want a charitable tax deduction now with the flexibility to direct distributions in the future
- Want to grow their contributions tax-free over time
- Are looking to give something back to their community
- Want to leave a legacy for future generations
As a wealth advisor, working with your client’s local community foundation you can:
- Potentially retain and manage your clients’ charitable assets at your financial institution
- Convert non-managed client assets into charitable dollars that you manage
- Offer your clients a value-added service, by connecting them to professionals who combine charitable expertise with knowledge of the regional nonprofit community
- Help with tax benefits for your clients - We will assist you in ensuring your clients receive maximum tax benefits while giving back meaningfully to the causes they care about most.
- Help invest in the community - you enhance your services to your clients, while your clients enhance their charitable giving with the benefit of our resources and expertise. At the same time, the quality of the region benefits from your combined efforts and support.
Many of your clients are charitable and give to causes they care about in their community. Community Foundations are an industry expert on philanthropy, with comprehensive knowledge about their communities. So, we can guide you and your clients through options that address their individual passions and align giving to areas of need in the community to achieve the greatest impact. We help you meet clients’ expectations.
Research indicates that many who seek financial-planning advice want and expect to talk about philanthropy and how they can achieve both charitable-giving goals and also tax advantages. Including long-term charitable goals in your clients’ portfolio allows you to stay connected to clients across generations by helping them establish and maintain a charitable legacy for their children and grandchildren through a foundation fund.
Since we specialize in managing, stewarding and granting charitable funds for individuals, families, businesses, nonprofits and private foundations, we are your very best partners when it comes to planning and living out the philanthropic goals of your clients.